As a free multifunctional media converter and DVD Ripper, Format Factory enables you to compress and convert any video file or DVD to MP4, 3GP, MPG, AVI, WMV, FLV, SWF, etc. Besides converting video or DVD, the program also acts as a beneficial audio conversion program and gives you the chance to convert audio or CD to MP3, WMA, AMR, OGG, AAC, WAV, etc. However, one of biggest cons of this program is that it is exclusively to Windows. For Mac users who are looking for a way to convert or rip DVD on Mac, you will need to find alternative solutions.
Fortunately, there are still some free Mac video conversion tool that can assist you to get those useless video or unreadable movie file converted on your Mac. The following article will share you the top 5 best free Mac video conversion tool with you.
1. Miro: The Easy Video Converter
If you are looking for a free but also simple Mac video converter, Miro Video Converter for Mac can be your first choice. It features a pretty intuitive interface, you can easily know how to handle it as soon as launch the app. Miro is capable of handling tons of popular video formats including FLV, AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, Xvid and MOV. The batch processing function enables you to convert multiple groups of video and movie files even they’re in different file formats.
Miro takes the technical names and confusing aspects out of conversion as much as possible, instead referencing the intended viewing devices rather than movie format types and resolutions. You’ll find support for Apple TV, Universal, iPad, iPad 3 (HD), iPhone, iPhone 4 (HD), iPhone 5 (HD wide), iPod nano, iPod touch, Android devices from HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Sanyo, or any other device by video size, Kindle Fire, PSP Playstation Portable, MP4, Ogg Theora, and WebM HD & SD.
How to use Miro Video Converter for Mac?
- Drag and drop videos in the Miro window
- Select a device to convert it to, then click the Convert button to be on your way
2. Handbrake: The advanced conversion tool
As a powerful free Mac video conversion program, Handbrake supports just about any formats as input and exports to the most useful formats of MP4 M4V, MKV, and MPG. Originating as a DVD ripper, it has been around for ages and has now evolved into an excellent all-around video converter tool with tons of features and advanced options. All the expected conversion features are there if you want to keep things simple, but advanced options lay right under the hood, where you can add subtitles to video, add new audio tracks, change the video codec type, set and customize frame rate, adjust chapters for DVD or BluRay conversions, apply filters to denies and decomb videos, and so much more.
How to use Handbrake to convert video?
- Bring any file into Handbrake, or select a video source (file, DVD, Bluray, etc)
- Choose a "Device" as the output format from the left side list of: Universal, iPod, iPhone & iPod touch, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Android Tablet, OR pick "Normal" or "High Profile" for standard video conversions
- Fiddle with the complex settings if desired, otherwise just click "Start" to convert the video
3. QuickTime: Convert video on Mac without downloading anything
QuickTime player which is bundled in OS X, can also function as an excellent free Mac video converter. With QuickTime player, you can easily turn videos into iPad compatible formats or much more than that.
How to use QuickTime player to convert video?
- Open the video to convert into QuickTime Player
- Pull down the File menu and choose "Export" (or Save As)
- Choose the desired movie file Format from the drop down menu and click "Export" to convert the video
Although QuickTime player enables you complete a conversion directly on Mac without download anything else or fiddle with much to get it working. However, QuickTime Player does have a few downsides. Mostly, it’s that QuickTime has limited codec support, and while you can choose different resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080p) and file formats (different iOS devices, Mac, or generic PC), don’t expect to open a WMV file or any obscure video formats with it. Also, there is no batch processing option like there is with Handbrake and Miro. But if you’re just looking to convert a .mov or .mkv, you’ll do just fine with it.
Best alternative to Format Factory for Mac
All above listed 3 free Mac video conversion have its own drawbacks such as limited input or output option for uncommon file formats such as H.265/HEVC , MKV, XAVC/XAVC S , AVCHD, commercial Blu-ray or DVD disc , etc, slow conversion speed or complicated operation process, etc. If you are looking for a professional but also simple to use Mac alternative to Format Factory for Mac, we highly recommend you to download Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac , which is empowered with the distinctive features and functions listed as below:
- Friendly user interface to navigate all the features and functions without confusion
- Rip copy and region protected Blu-ray and DVD disc on Mac
- Full support for decoding and encoding 4K /2K/HD/SD video on Mac
- Support new Mac OS X El Capitan
- Output video to various file formats, iPad/iPhone/Apple TV preset profile formats and also optimized file formats for Android phone/tablets, Windows phone/tablets, game consoles, etc.
- Generate professional video editing codec like Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC), Apple Prores, Avid DNxHD, QuickTime codec, etc for fast and fluid workflow with Mac video editing application iMovie, Final Cut Express, Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, Davinci Resolve, etc.
- Flexibly adjust output video codec, bit rate, frame rate, resolution, audio codec, bit rate, sample rate, channels, etc to get better output video and audio quality.
- Customize and edit video by merging, trimming, cropping, splitting, adding watermark, inserting external subtitles, applying special rendering effect.
Step by Step to Convert Video with Best Alternative to Format Factory for Mac
Step 1: Load video files into the program
Install and run the program on Mac El Capitan, click "File" > "Add Video/Audio" or "Add from folder" to import video or audio files, click "Load from disc", "Load from folder" or "Load IFO/ISO" to load Blu-ray disc/BDMV fodler/ISO image or DVD disc/Video_TS folder/IFO/ISO image file into the program.
Step 2: Choose output file format.
Click the format bar to select a video format or device preset profile formats according to your own needs.
Step 3: Trim/Crop/Watermark/Apply effect to video.
Selet an item to activate the "Video Editor" function, click the "Video Editor" icon on the tool menu bar to go to the "Video Editor" interface. Then you can play, rotate, trim, crop, add watermark, insert subtitles, etc.
Step 4: Start the media conversion process.
Hit the big red button "Convert" on the main interface to begin the video conversion on Mac OS X El Capitan.
Step 5. Sync/transfer converted videos.
When the conversion is completed, click the "Open Output Folder" to pop out the folder with conversion files, you can easily play the converted files on El Capitan with QuickTime Player or sync to iPhone or iPad via iTunes for viewing on the move.
Join our 2016 summer vacation promotion to enjoy up to 50% off discount coupon code for Blu-ray/DVD/video conversion tool.