Handbrake, popular open source video transcoder, has finally hit version 1.0.0 after spending roughly more than 13 years in development. The new version is available to be downloaded on both Mac OS X 10.7 to 10.2 and Windows Vista to 10.
What's new in Handbrake 1.0.7?
One of the big updates is the presets that the new Handbrake ships with. You get new device presets for devices released in recent time, new general use presets for best compatibility, new presets for web publication or sending, and new Matroska presets that include support for VP9 video with Opus audio. Another great function that's worth mentioning is that the developer of the program has improved the audio and video sync engine; it handles problematic video sources better in the HandBrake 1.0.0 release.
Other new important changes
1. Following is a short selection of important changes in the new version of HandBrake:
2. The new Intel QuickSync video H.265/HEVC encoder is available on devices with an Intel Skylake or newer cpu.
3. x265 encoder quality improvements, especially when using tune grain
4. VP9 video encoding via libvpx
5. New Matroska (MKV) presets, including VP9 video with Opus audio
- Official presets from HandBrake 0.10.x are still available under "Legacy"Support for Ultra HD / 4K color pass through.
6. DirectX Video Acceleration (DVXA) hardware accelerated video decoding removed because it was causing many issues.
7. Updated third-party libraries HandBrake uses.
8. New Auto anamorphic mode maximizes storage resolution, replaces Strict anamorphic mode.
9. Assembly optimizations improve filter performance by up to 10%, and x264 encoder performance by up to 10% for faster presets.
10. New Decomb/Deinterlace filter settings and improved defaults
What's not changed in Handbrake 1.0.7 version?
- Still not support to rip commercial Blu-ray/DVD disc alone
- The output container file formats is only limited to MP4 or MKV
- Not very approachable interface which can only be better controled by advanced users
Best Alternative to Handbrake version 1.0.7
If you are looking for a easy to use yet powerful media transcoding program alternative to Handbrake 1.0.7, we highly recommended Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate for the following reasons:
- A cross-platform application that's available on both Windows and Mac platform.
- Perfect compatibility with the new Windows 10 and macOS Sierra 10.12
- Break up to 14 types of region code and copy protection from DVD.
- Bypass protection from commercial Blu-ray disc with AACS, BD+ and new MKB61 and MKB62 encryption
- Full disc copy of Blu-ray/DVD with original structure
- Main movie copy of Blu-ray/DVD with all the subtitle languages and audio tracks
- Convert Blu-ray/DVD/video to various popular file formats(including H.265) and devices and program preset profile formats
- Support Blu-ray/DVD/video to H.265 encoding acceleration on a PC that running Nvidia GPU enabled graphic cards
- Select desired subtitles and audio tracks from original Blu-ray/DVD movies
- Enable forced subtitles of Blu-ray/DVD to disable the traditional subtitles while still preserving the subtitles that translate foreign language speaking parts.
- Add external subtitles to Blu-ray/DVD movies
- Edit Blu-ray/DVD/video by trimming, cropping, merging, splitting, watermarking, deinterlacing, flipping, apply special rendering effect, change video picture effect, remove/replace audio in video, etc.
- Adjust output profile parameters such as video codec, resolution, bit rate, frame rate, audio codec, bitrate, sample rate, and channels to get better output video and audio quality.