Those who want to rip DVDs to Mac hard drive with Handbrake must install libdvdcss on Mac. libdvdcss is a library that can be used to read DVDs without having to deal with decryption and read DVD discs that have a different region than your drive. The libdvdcss library comes with a sample of known CSS keys that are used to decode the DVD content. If you have ever ripped DVD on Mac, you probably have installed libdvdcss on Mac. But if you recently ugrade your computer to macOS Sierra or the previous El Capitan, you perhaps need to reinstall libdvdcss on Mac cause that it appears that El Capitan's new security system, "System Integrity Protection", removes libdvdcss. After disabling SIP, simply reinstall libdvdcss and you're good to go.
Fortunately, it is very simple to install libdvdcss on Mac including macOS Sierra. Just follow the steps below to install or reinstall libdvdcss on Mac.
Install libdvd.css.pkg on Mac including macOS Sierra
1. Click to visit: http://download.videolan.org to download libdvdcss library. Many people reported that they can't download libdvdcss successfully. But this site can give you a success download: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Development/Libraries/libdvdcss.shtml
2. In the new window, click on libdvdcss then last/ then the appropriate operating system for your computer (Here we choose MacOSX). On the resulting page, click on libdvdcss.pkg to download it.
3. Double-click on the resulting file.
4. In the resulting install window, click continue to begin the process, make sure to select your hard drive as the install location, and continue to click continue until the install process is finished.
Rip DVD with Handbrake After installed libdvdcss on Mac
After installed libdvdcss on Mac, you can now rip protected DVDs with Handbrake on Mac. Follow these directions to make a copy of your protected DVD:
1. Insert your DVD into your Mac. HandBrake will display a dropdown sheet asking which Volume should be opened. Select the DVD from the list, and then click ‘Open.’ HandBrake’s main window will appear. After HandBrake spends a few moments analyzing the selected DVD, the DVD’s name will appear as the Source in HandBrake’s main window.
2. Head to the "Title" drop-down menu in the upper left hand corner of the window. This is where you'll select which part of the DVD you want to rip. In the case of movies, it's usually the longest title, so just pick that one. If you're ripping episodes of a TV show, it's usually the 22 or 44 minute ones, and you'll have to rip them each separately.
3. Choose a name and a destination from the "Save As..." window. Keep in mind that your destination should have enough space to copy the entire DVD, which can be over four gigs.
4. Do not change the file extension, which will probably be .m4v. This file type will ensure you can use the resulting copy in iTunes, or directly on your Mac, using the VLC media player or Apple’s QuickTime Player.
5. Click the ‘Start’ button near the top left of the HandBrake window. Once a copy or conversion starts, HandBrake will display a progress bar along the bottom of its window, along with an estimate of the time remaining to complete. HandBrake adds the progress bar to its Dock icon, so you can easily hide the HandBrake window and go on about your work while occasionally stealing a glance at the progress HandBrake is making.
Libdvdcss Is Not Enough To Rip All Commercial DVDs On Mac
As we said above, libdvdcss library comes with a sample of known CSS keys that are used to decode the DVD content. However, standard commercial DVDs have various DVD encryption includes CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney x-project DRM, etc. Installing Libdvdcss on Mac only makes you remove CSS and some of the region codes. If your DVDs have more complex encryption, you can't rip DVD on Mac with Handbrake. Fortunately, a Handbrake alternative for Mac can help you solve the problem.
Best Handbrake Alternative for Mac to Copy DVDs on Mac
Pavtube BDMagic for Mac is treated as the advanced edition of Handbrake on macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc. This excellent Mac DVD Ripper makes it simple to backup your DVDs on your Mac's hard drive or portable storage devices without installing libdvdcss library to decrypt DVD protection. There are several extraction methods you can choose from, namely full, main feature, digital files. Like Handbrake, BDMagic can convert DVD to M4V, MP4 on Mac. Beyond Handbrake, it also can rip DVD to H.265, MOV, MKV, AVI, WMV, TS, FLV, FV4, ASF, ProRes, etc for your QuickTime, iMovie, Final Cut Pro and other Mac video players and NLE software.
Moreover, the best Handbrake alternative app comes with an easy to use interface that provides the necessary tools to trim, crop and watermark the selected video. You also can configure video parameters (codec, resolution, frame rate and bitrate) and audio parameters (codec, simple rate, bitrate, channel) to get more compatible DVD rips with your Mac.
Simple Instruction to Rip DVD on Mac:
Step 1. Run the Handbrake Alternative for Mac and click "File" ＞ "Load from disc" to import the DVD movie. You can pick preferred subtitle and audio track for output after importing the DVD.
Step 2. Clicking the Format bar, you can choose output format from the format list or customize which formats to be shown on the list. Click “Settings” button to go to “Profile Settings” screen where you can adjust audio and video parameters like size, bitrate, frame rate, sample rate, etc.
Step 3. Hit the "Convert" button to start ripping DVD movie on Mac.
Compare Handbrake and Alternatives: Input, Output and Functions
|Handbrake for Mac||BDMagic for Mac|
|Decrypt CSS, Region Codes||Need libdvdcss|
|Remoe DVD RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney x-project DRM|
|Supported to Rip||DVD, Blu-ray(Need MakeMKV)||DVD, Blu-ray|
|1:1 copy BD/DVD to folder|
|Directly copy BD/DVD|
|Remux Blu-ray and DVD|
|Convert BD/DVD to Digital Files|
|BD/DVD to MP4/M4V|
|BD/DVD to MKV, WMV, FLV, MOV, TS, ProRes|
|BD/DVD to H.265/HEVC|
|BD/DVD to FLAC, AAC, MP3, AC3, MKA, etc.|
|Select Desired Internal Subtitles|
|Enable Forced Suntitles|
|Add External Subtitles|
Split & Merge & Trim & Crop
Adjust Output Video/Audio Profile Parameters