When you are watching the video, movie or TV shows, we know that all these videos have the special video formats, at the same time, different video formats hold different features on different device, media player. For example: MP4 video is wide used by most media player, like VLC, WMP, QuickTime, etc. Some video formats are limited to special media player or portable devices, like the PS4 Pro only can support the 4K MP4 video. Knowing these video formats well can help you to take full use of them, you need have a a few fundamental concepts. We collected the top 10 best and popular video format, guide you to open the video world.
Tip: It is important to understand that a video format is more than just a file extension. An extension is not just a video codec – it could be a container, or a codec and a container or just a codec.
Top 10 Best and Popular Video in 2017
NO 1 Video Format: AVI
- Full Name: Audio Video Interleave
- Guide: AVI files are the long running digital video workhorse from the Microsoft stable. AVI was replaced by Microsoft’s Windows Media Video (WMV) format and usually offers less compression than comparable video file formats including MOV and MPEG. It also does not allow users to select aspect ratios manually, which can be a rather irritating feature.
- Media Player: Microsoft Windows Media Player, Apple QuickTime Player, VideoLAN VLC media player.
NO 2 Video Format: ASF
- Full Name: Advanced Systems Format
- Guide: ASF container normally houses files compressed with Microsoft’s WMA (Windows Media Audio) and WMV codec. Just to confuse the matter further, the files are usually given the .wmv or .wma suffix and not the expected .asf. A form of copy protection is offered with this container through Digital Rights Management (DRM)
- Media Player:VideoLAN VLC media player and Microsoft Windows Media Player
NO 3 Video Format: MOV
- Full Name: QuickTime
- Guide: The MOV and QT Apple QuickTime Movie file formats both support a wide range of codecs. The .mov format saves video files and the .qt suffix is cross-platform, meaning that it supports both Mac and Windows systems. The two file extensions are commonly saved together.
- Media Player: Apple QuickTime Player
NO 4 Video Format: AVCHD
- Full Name: Advanced Video Coding, High Definition
- Guide: The result of a Panasonic and Sony collaboration as a video file format for digital camcorders, AVCHD is commonly used for data compressed with the H.264 codec. It’s a file-based format so it can be played back and stored on a range of storage devices. Supports both standard definition and high definition variants and the latest 2.0 version supports 3D.
- Media Player: VideoLan VLC Media Player and Apple QuickTime Player
NO 5 Video Format: FLV
- Full Name: Flash Video
- Guide: Flash Video has been around for some time and comes in numerous versions. It is a popular container format for streaming videos across the internet but a large drawback is that it is not supported on iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads.
- Media Player: Web browsers with the Flash plugin installed and the Adobe Flash Player.
NO 6 Video Format: MPG
- Full Name: MPEG Video File
- Guide: This prevalent video file format integrates MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video and audio compression. MPEG-1 is almost exclusively used for VCDs (Video Compact Disks ), which failed to catch on in the US but remain popular in other countries. MPEG-2 (also known as H.262) is used for DVDs and broadcast HDTV
- Media Player: Microsoft Windows Media Player and Apple QuickTime Player.
NO 7 Video Format: MP4
- Full Name: MPEG-4 Video File
- Guide: The MPEG-4 format is used to share files on the web. Video and audio tracks are compressed separately where the video file is compressed with MPEG-4 encoding and audio with AAC compression, which is the same audio compression type used in .AAC files.
- Media Player: MP4 players and Apple QuickTime Player.
NO 8 Video Format: WMV
- Full Name: Windows Media Video
- Guide: The WMV codec is a popular choice for streaming video or audio. WMV includes support for high definition 720 and 1080 resolutions. Based on the ASF container, files ending in the .wmv suffix are normally stored in the .asf container.
- Media Player: Web browsers with the Windows Media Player plugin and Microsoft Windows Media Player.
NO 9 Video Format: H.264
- Full Name: H.264
- Guide: The H.264 codec is a popular standard for high definition digital video. It’s a versatile little codec and works with very high and very low bitrates. The H.264 codec is often used with digital video cameras and camcorders and it uses the AVCHD containe
- Media Player: VideoLan VLC Media Player and Apple QuickTime Player
NO 10 Video Format: DivX
- Full Name: DivX-encoded Movie
- Guide: The editable DivX video file format effectively compresses videos with minimal quality loss while supporting resolutions of up to 1080 HD. This high-quality and high-compress codec is recognised by a handful of DVD players but does not support VCD playback. A good option for making video CDs.
- Media Player: Apple QuickTime Player with DivX codec, DivX Player, VideoLAN VLC media player, SlowView and The Core Media Player
How to Get And Play Any Video You Want?
When you get the MOV but you can't play it on other media player, how to do? You want to get all the video in MP4 video formats, how to do? You want to get the H.264 video from DVD and Blu-ray, how to do? All these troubles are solved by one powerful video converter which can convert video to video, you can get any video format you want. I recommend you Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate, one of the best video converter on the world, you can enjoy these features:
Powerful Video Input: With the user-friendly interface and easy buttons, you can import any video to this software, like the FLV, MP4, MOV, VOB, ISO, AVI, H.264, H.265, MPEG, etc. At the same time, you also can watch the video at the preview window.
Support Multiple Media Player: There are many various media player, most popular media player are all supported by this software. You can play video on any media player you want, for example: DVD on VLC, H.265 with Kodi 17, AVI, M2TS on Windows Media Player, FLV, DVD on KMPlayer, MKV/MP4 on QuickTime, etc.
Perfect DVD/Blu-ray Ripper: This video converter is also an excellent DVD ripper, Blu-ray ripper, DVD and Blu-ray copy software, remove most DVD and Blu-ray copy protection.
Enjoy The DVD/Blu-ray With Ease: Play DVD and Blu-ray on any DVD and Blu-ray player at will: 4K Blu-ray on Sony FMP-X10 4K Media Player, Blu-ray to Oppo BDP-105 via NAS, 3D Blu-ray on KDLINKS HD720 Media Player.
Play Videos on TV: Watching the favourite videos on TV with family and friends ia a happy thing, you can enjoy any video on your TV smoothly, like the Samsung TV, LG TV, Amazon Fire TV, Sony TV, even including the 4K TV, 3D TV and so on.
Edit the Video in NLE Software: This video converter can convert anfd adjust the video to your NLE best supported video format. When you can't edit the video due to the video incompatibility issue, you can solve them at here: iMovie, Avid MC, After Effects, Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Pro 13, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro, etc.
Watch the Video Anytime, Anywhere: Perfect device preset: You can enjoy the video on the Android devices: Sony, HTC, Vizio, Amazon Fire. etc. Apple devices: iPhone 8, iPhone 7/Plus, new iPad 2017, iPad Air, etc.
Quick Guide: Convert video to video
1. Launch the video converter on your PC, then click the "Folder" or "Video" icon to load source video files from your local computer to the program. For loading Blu-ray or DVD disc, insert your Blu-ray or DVD disc into an internal or external drive, , click "File" > "Load from disc".
2. Click the "Format" bar and open the drop-down list, select one video format you want. You can choose one video from the "HD Video" main category. You also can choose video format from the Common Video, TVs, Apple TV, NLE software, Android devices, etc.
3. Press the Convert button to begin the video conversion, Just wait for a while, this software will finish the complicated video conversion.
Is it so eay to do? Just 3 clicks, you can get the desired video format, by the way, you also can adjust the video related parameters by the Setting windows. When you want to share the video on Youtube, Facebook, etc, you can edit the video with the built-in video editor and make the video more charming. Good Luck to you.